Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?

From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
Subject: Re: When can we expect a version 1.0 of the GNU Operating System?
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 21:38:46 -0200

Em Fri, 21 Nov 2014 04:24:31 -0500
address@hidden (Alfred M. Szmidt) escreveu:

>    As I can see it, the only "effort" missing is the GNU project
>    declaring that this is the official GNU system.
>
> Exactly, and that isn't a high priority (for the project as a whole --
> we all have our own priorities) -- making one more non-free program
> is.

I don't know what's the real reason backing RMS's decision of not
declaring it the GNU system yet.  However I *do* know that what you are
stating is clearly not the real reason.  As noted by some colleagues,
you are conflating FSF and GNU project's roles.

> Personally, I would be very sad to see a release of the GNU system
> that does not allow a user the same technical freedoms as the Hurd
> provides.  But that is another topic, biased by history.

To say you would be *very happy* to see a release of the GNU system
that allows a user the same technical freedoms as the Hurd provides is
laudable.  Stating what you've stated is what, in fact, is *very sad*.

--
 ,= ,-_-. =.  Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix) [0x28D618AF]
((_/)o o(\_)) There is no system but GNU;