gpsd-dev

Re: scons clean, regress driver

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: scons clean, regress driver
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 13:02:28 -0700

Yo Hal!

On Sun, 15 Aug 2021 12:11:14 -0700
Hal Murray <halmurray.gpsd@sonic.net> wrote:

> > "scons build-tests" builds all the tests, but does not run them.
>
> It doesn't setup regress-driver or tests/

Right, it builds the "tests" not the "regressions".  You asked for "tests"
not "regressions".

For "tests" and "regressions", run "scons check.

> > Then you can run the tests by hand.
>
> I don't want to run yours tests.  I want to run my script which calls
> regress-driver ...

Have at it.  Just run "scons check" first.

> After scons build-tests
> [murray@hgm raw]$ ls -ld buildtmp/{reg*,tes*}
> ls: cannot access 'buildtmp/reg*': No such file or directory
> drwxrwxr-x 2 murray murray 4096 Aug 15 11:37  buildtmp/tests
>
> After scons check:
> [murray@hgm raw]$ ls -ld buildtmp/{reg*,tes*}
> -rwxrwxr-x 2 murray murray 8786 Aug  6 16:05 buildtmp/regress-driver
> drwxrwxr-x 4 murray murray 4096 Aug 15 11:35 buildtmp/test
> drwxrwxr-x 2 murray murray 4096 Aug 15 11:35 buildtmp/tests

Right, it builds the "tests" not the "regressions".  You asked for "tests"
not "regressions".

> >> It does, but it takes a long time.
> > Yes, and worth it.
>
> Yes, at the right time.  But the middle of a test/debug cycle is not
> the right time.

So run it after a clean build, then don't clean.

> This is not a big deal.
>
> I was trying to clean up some bit rot. I got confused, but blundered
> through. It is unlikely that somebody else will encounter the same
> problem.  Fixing it will probably clean up the code slightly.

I'm still unclear what needs "fixing"?  Sounds like maybe a
feature request for "scons regress-deiver".  If all you want is
regress-driver installed in buildtmp.

> The other thing that would help would be if scons --help said
> something about the available targets as well as the long list of
> options.   (maybe split it into two, yada...)  It should mention
> --clean.

I'd rather not have to support all the internal options as an API.  Then
it can not longer be easiely changed.

And we certinaly do not want to make it harder to find the normal user
targers, or confuse users with developer targers.

As Fred suggested: grep for Alias tells you all the targets.

> There is what looks like slightly out-of-date target-help text in the
> top of SConstruct but I haven't found a way to print it out.

# less SConscript

But you are not going to find what I think you are looking for.  If you
could explain what you want to happen then adding a new target for you
is easy.  But I would rather not document it and then have to explain
to people why it is not what they want.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588