guix-devel

Re: PowerShell core?

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: PowerShell core?
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 22:41:03 +0100

Hi!

Yasuaki Kudo 写道:
Just curious, is there any interest in making PowerShell core available for Guix?

If you mean interest as in previous efforts to package it, I'm not aware of any.

If you mean interest as in ‘would others accept this package in Guix’: I don't see why they wouldn't, as long as it adheres to the same standards as other Guix software. Particularly the GNU FSDG[0].

One of the touted (old) features[1] is

 “OneGet cmdlets to support the Chocolatey package manager”

which is almost certainly going to be problematic for us. However, as long as it's (entirely) Free and doesn't install or recommend non-free software (“sorry, that requires Windows(R)”) or send users' command history to Microsoft, go for it!

Most such problems can be patched. If upstream turns out to maliciously evade such patches we simply drop it again.

Windows is always there

Then let's fix that instead of ‘empowering’ its slaves to increase productivity.

Still, we don't boycott malicious upstreams (ungoogled-chromium & worse) and PowerShell looks like a welcome attempt to pull command interpreters out of the 70s.

Due to its (apparent) verbosity it looks better suited to scripting than interactive use, but then unix shs suck at both so it's still a--

--wait, I just described Scheme.  Hmm.

Get-Help,

T G-R

[0]: http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html [1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerShell#Windows_PowerShell_3.0