guix-devel

Re: gcc-toolchain is missing libstdc++.so

From: Kaelyn
Subject: Re: gcc-toolchain is missing libstdc++.so
Date: Thu, 04 May 2023 23:45:59 +0000

------- Original Message -------
On Thursday, May 4th, 2023 at 9:50 PM, John Kehayias
<john.kehayias@protonmail.com> wrote:

> > I have similar use cases of FHS containers to run binaries (primarily
> > games). I recently ran into the issue of gcc:lib going away and no
> > output from a visible package providing libstdc++. My current
> > workaround was to implement a replacement for specifications->manifest
> > that could handle packages and '(package "output") pairs in addition
> > to strings, so that I could include `(,(@@ (gnu packages gcc) gcc)
> > "lib") in place of "gcc:lib". Internally it resolves package strings
> > to packages with specification->package, then passes the package and
> > optional output specifier to package->manifest-entry. But I digress a
> > little...
>

> Nice little hack Kaelyn, would you mind sharing somewhere? I wonder if
> this should be something we should have more easily anyway.

I wasn't sure the best place to share it, so I've attached my "run" script for
running the binary download of PolyMC in a container. It is both a shell script
and a guix package manifest, and is the one place so far I've worked around the
removal of gcc:lib. The main program-specific bits are what CMD defaults to and
which packages need to be included (most of the various shares are to get
things like hardware 3D, pulseaudio, and dbus working and aren't all always
needed). It also contains the original manifest commented-out for comparison.
Hope it can be of help to folks!

Cheers,
Kaelyn