RE: [Heartlogic-dev] rumination prototype

From: William L. Jarrold
Subject: RE: [Heartlogic-dev] rumination prototype
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 10:50:31 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 10 May 2005, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 02:02 -0500, William L. Jarrold wrote:
On Mon, 9 May 2005, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
Jesus loves his father because Jesus is God's son.

Yes.  Technically this might be better put as...

Jesus loves his father. [q]

...and then later, they can click on this and see why.  I.e. they would
see the premises which were:

Sons love their fathers. [p1]
Jesus is God's son. [p2]

Hrm, do you want to do this (click to see reasons) for the pilot?

Yes, the would be my moderately strong preference.

We must remember that we are building a platform for doing all sortsa
experiments.

If so
then you'll need to specify dependency information.

I am not sure what you mean by dependency info...Simply have the item
be ...

Jesus loves his father.

<click here to see why HAL believes this>

;; note: interface will give you this option after you have provided the rating.

HAL concludeds that:

        Jesus loves his father.

because:

        Sons love their fathers.
        Jesus is God's son.

Actually for deductions (like the above, and like "Vienna is wet.") we
would want two conditions:

1) the believability of the conclusion alone (e.g. the participant would
see q alone).

2) the believabilty of the conclusion in the context of the premises (e.g.
the participant would we "q because p1 and p2".)

OK, that's just a matter of adding more items.

Right.

Slightly better to say...

"The river Danube is a river."

Heh, that's funny.  :-)

Yes.  It can sometimes be a real hoot to read Cyc's deductions.

Suppose a person is experiencing some emotion, call it EMOTION-X.

Also, suppose that the opposite emotion of EMOTION-X is
OPPOSITE-EMOTION,

It follows from the above that they are experiencing zero amount of
OPPOSITE-EMOTION.

Actually how we word the rule could even be a variable...that is
probably something for later.

Sure, just write an item generator.

Hrm, instead of telling me which items you want, why not just modify the
attached script?

Sure, will do, but not right now.

Bill

--
If you are an American then support http://fairtax.org
(Permanently replace 50,000+ pages of tax law with about 200 pages.)