RE: [Heartlogic-dev] rumination prototype

From: William L. Jarrold
Subject: RE: [Heartlogic-dev] rumination prototype
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 21:05:04 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 11 May 2005, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 22:52 -0500, William L. Jarrold wrote:
BUT, enough with my ceaseless procrastination!!!, here is a rough stab.

Yes, that is key.  ;-)

For each item there will be...

a) an item id

b) THING-TO-RATE: a hunk of html text that when plugged into your
doodad is the thing that they will be rating.

c) BACKGROUND: another hunk of html text that will be viewable if the
participant wants to see where b) came from.  (this would contain info
like "This item was reversed.  Click here to see what we mean by
reversed." or "This item was actually a deduction that HAL made after
doing some thinking.  This is the chain of deductions that HAL made in
order to come up with that deduction."

...in the beginning we will hand craft b) and c).  In our stary-eyed
futures we will have a program generate b) and c) based on the output
of an AI (such as Cyc or KM plus its CLib).

...Also I hope you can do this so that we can add more fields beyond a, b
and c if we need to.  Is that posssible?

Yah, you can do anything but you have to _decide_ and get to the point
of actually doing it so we can get on with actually running the
pilot!  ;-)

Also, the item id should encode what condition the item was in.  E.g. (i) was
it a deduction or a ground fact?  (ii) Was it from Cyc or KM?  (iii) Was
it reversed or unreversed?....Hrm, perhaps the better idea is to leave the
item id be any unique char string and have other fields for (i), (ii),
(iii).

Right, that's what I was asking.  So:

create table c_commonsense (
id int,
c_commonsense_is_reversed boolean,
c_commonsense_statement varchar(512),
c_commonsense_explanation varchar(1024)
) without oids;

Those string lengths are just approximate and easy to increase if
needed. OK?

you are the programmer but i think id would be better if the is_reversed
var were at the end.  since there are likely to be other vars that we will
add soon.

also, i think is_reversed should be a string of length, oh, 16.  memory
is cheap and people are v v expensive.  i think we will have several
levels of reversal.  right now i can see e.g. several places in which
to put the not.  plus reversal might be a different animal for
rules.

we should also have an extra variable for gaf vs rule.

anyway, this is a pilot so it need not be perfect.

So write a perl script or a carefully formatted file which can be used
to populate such a database table.

you recently sent an email with an attachment named simple. you wanted me to tweak the item content in there to my liking. my guess is that this was an example of a carefully formated file which can be used to populate such a database table. is that correct?

Yes.  (As a parity check I will restate wha is hopefully obvious) We
definitely would *not* tell them before they rate it that it is reversd.
If we did tell them before, this would tip them off that they should rate
it unbelievable.

Yes, of course.  Parity check succeeded.  ;-)

Most experts agree that this statement is highly unbelievable.

Minor point:  I would phrase this as "HAL thinks" rather than "Most
experts agree."

OK, I have removed the part about how other people have rated this piece
of commonsense knowledge.

well, what we actually want is both.  we want...

hal thinks blah.

please rate this

1) high un 2) mod un 3 neut 4 mnod belief 5 hightly believable

...then after the user finishes we want some representation of what people think...

e.g. the average believability rating that other human raters gave was 4.
3 other's have rated this so far.

...What do you guys think...what is the best way to rep "what other human raters believe" here? mean and number of respondants? mean alone? mean plus sdev? a histogram?....my preferennce is mean and number of respondants.

Maybe.  I was thinking that the "This item is reversed" clue would be
stored in "c) BACKGROUND:".

If we can parameterize things and store the reverse attribute as a flag
then that will be better from an programming point of view.  A flag is
something we can search on later.  On the other hand, storing everything
in an html blob is also OK.  Your choice.

I trust your judgement.  Let's put reversal as an attribute.

But as I alluded above, we might not want to overload the item id and
thus there are other reasons to have a field include whether the item
is reversed or unervrsed or who-knows-what.

Yah, the best way is to keep all the descriptive facts about the item as
separate fields.

Okee dokee.  Sounds good.

Bill

--
If you are an American then support http://fairtax.org
(Permanently replace 50,000+ pages of tax law with about 200 pages.)