Re: nautilus-admin

From: (
Subject: Re: nautilus-admin
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2023 15:41:35 +0100

Hi,

Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> writes:
> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> Hi,
>
> I have constantly problems to copy something to my external harddrive, because
> it needs root rights.
> I can do it only in the commandline, which gives me a lot of trouble, e.g.
> when
> I want to copy all directories at once.
> I don’t know the command for it.

What do you mean, specifically, by "copying all directories at once"?
If you mean copying everything in a specific directory, you could try:

  sudo cp ORIGINAL-DIRECTORY/* HARDDRIVE-DIRECTORY

This command uses a /wildcard/, *, which expands the word
'ORIGINAL-DIRECTORY' to multiple words, one for each member of
'ORIGINAL-DIRECTORY'.

If you mean copying multiple directories, just do:

  sudo cp DIRECTORY-1 DIRECTORY-2 DIRECTORY-3 HARDDRIVE-DIRECTORY

Commands aren't as scary as they seem from afar.  I'd highly recommend
you take the time to learn about them :)