Re: to enable all profiles at login time

From: Wojtek Kosior
Subject: Re: to enable all profiles at login time
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 13:56:51 +0200

> Hi,
> thanks for helping me.

> 1.
> I added:
> "GUIX_EXTRA_PROFILES=/home/gfp/Projekte"
> to my /.bash_profile
>
> 2.
> I changed the sentence
> "profile=$i/$(basename "$i")"
>   to:
>   "profile=$i"
>
> 3.
> my /.bash_profile looks now, after changing like this:
>
> [...]

Looks good :)

> Where do I have to add "-l" in /.bashrc?

You don't add it to `.bashrc`. Instead, you need to configure your
*terminal emulator*. It is the graphical application that you use to
access the command line. Since you mentioned you're using Mate desktop,
I suspect the terminal emulator you are using is "mate-terminal" and
I'll give you instructions for that. If you happen to be using
a different one (like xfce4-terminal, konsole, sakura, xterm, etc.),
the steps are going to be slightly different.

So, right-click somewhene in your mate-terminal window and choose
"Profiles->Profile Preferences" as in the attached screenshot. Then, in
the "Editing Profile" windows that shows, switch to the "Title and
Command" tab and tick the "Run command as a login shell" option (as
shown in the second attached screenshot). Finally, close the "Editing
Profile" window.

Once you restart mate-terminal, it should run bash as a login shell.
You can verify this by running the following command (well, 2 commands)

    shopt -q login_shell; echo $?

If the bash instance you're interacting with is a login shell, it shall
print "0". Otherwise, it'll print "1".

Now, it might be good to clarify some things. What we're doing here
does *not* enable your profiles when you start the Mate desktop. It
instead enables them when you start mate-terminal with bash in it. In
other words, your profiles get enabled when you "log in" in a terminal.
And here we're just causing the execution of mate-terminal application
to be treated as such login.

But don't worry about these details — this is what you want. The lines
you now have in your `.bash_profile` will also enable your Guix
profiles when you log in through a TTY or through SSH. This is the
correct behavior :)

Best luck ;)

Wojtek

-- (sig_start)
website: https://koszko.org/koszko.html
PGP: https://koszko.org/key.gpg
fingerprint: E972 7060 E3C5 637C 8A4F  4B42 4BC5 221C 5A79 FD1A

♥ R29kIGlzIHRoZXJlIGFuZCBsb3ZlcyBtZQ== | ÷ c2luIHNlcGFyYXRlZCBtZSBmcm9tIEhpbQ==
✝ YnV0IEplc3VzIGRpZWQgdG8gc2F2ZSBtZQ== | ? U2hhbGwgSSBiZWNvbWUgSGlzIGZyaWVuZD8=
-- (sig_end)