koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Koha Documentation Structure

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Koha Documentation Structure
Date: Mon Oct 4 00:47:02 2004

On 2004-10-03 22:45:49 +0100 Stephen Hedges <address@hidden> wrote:

I have attached a file called "koha_docs_structure" which contains an
outline for all of the Koha documentation. [...]

Thanks for this.

I will be retrieving existing documents, such as Nicholas Rosasco's "Koha
Manual," converting them to XML, and fitting them into this structure.

What XML? XML is more a meta-language rather than a particular markup. xhtml is XML these days, even.

If you would like to submit a document, please include the following
statement in the document:

Any reason for writing our own? I would prefer the following simpler statement:

If you would like to submit a document, please include the following statement. Replace the copyright line placeholders with your details. You may remove the part in square brackets if you wish.

(BEGIN STATEMENT)

This document is licensed to you under the GNU General Public License version 2 or later <URL:http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html> [and the Linux Documentation Project License version 2.0 or later <URL:http://www.tldp.org/COPYRIGHT.html>]. It is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
(END STATEMENT)

Here's my worries about your statement:

"This document is copyrighted (c) 2004 by <your name here>. Unless
otherwise stated, Koha documents are copyrighted by their respective
authors.

I'm not entirely sure that "to copyright" is a verb. If I remember correctly, copyright is a property of a creative expression which exists automatically in Berne Union states and does not require a distinct action to create it.

Koha-related documents may be reproduced and distributed in whole or
in part, in any medium physical or electronic, as long as this
copyright notice is retained on all copies.

This part looks fine, as far as it goes.

You may create a derivative work and distribute it provided that you: 1. Send your derivative work to the Koha Project for possible posting on
the Internet.

Notification requirement, restricting free modification and distribution. Might even restrict internal use by an institution as "distribute" is not clearly defined (AKA lawyerbomb). Usually, debian developers will say this is not acceptable for free software.

2. License the derivative work with this same license, or the Linux
Documentation Project License (http://www.tldp.org/manifesto.html), or the GNU General Public License (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html). Include
a copyright notice and at least a pointer to the license used.

The URL for the LDPL is wrong, pointing to the manifesto. It should be http://www.tldp.org/COPYRIGHT.html I think.

We should specify which licence versions are acceptable. The first LDPL didn't make the covered work free software, IIRC.

3. Give due credit to previous authors and major contributors.

A bit vague, but probably OK.

     Commercial redistribution is allowed and encouraged; however, the
author would like to be notified of any such distributions.  Please
check your local laws on copyright."

Just a notice and request: again OK. The reference to "your local laws" suggests that I'm right to be worried about "distribute" as I don't know all laws around the world.

OK, that's it. All comments or suggestions for improvement are welcome.

Hope you don't mind, but I'd really rather we avoided making something non-free. It doesn't really seem necessary to make a new licence as there are enough out there already. By far the most common case of non-free software seen on debian-legal is people creating their own copyright licences and getting it "a bit wrong" or overlooking something.

Surely we can pick one or two known free software copyright licences which express the authors' wishes?

 Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
LinuxExpo.org.uk village 6+7 Oct http://www.affs.org.uk