koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Koha Documentation Structure

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Koha Documentation Structure
Date: Mon Oct 4 07:54:52 2004

On 2004-10-04 15:14:33 +0100 Joshua Ferraro <address@hidden> wrote:

However, I do think we should at least consider the possibility of a printed manual at some time in the future. So which license is likely
not to prevent a publisher from signing on?  Or would we self-publish?

I have seen this debated in a few other groups, most recently schemecookbook.org. Also, I still have a copy of the book contract I signed a few years ago (since cancelled before publication) which is a standard "fill in the gaps" affair. I have not had a book get finished yet, though...

As far as I can tell, you will not be able to use most publishers' standard contracts if you are not the copyright holder and have some content under existing licences.

Debates on this often have people guessing about publishers, which doesn't really help. There are free-software-friendly publishers like Network Theory http://www.network-theory.co.uk/ so a free software licence shouldn't really prevent getting a publisher.

 Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
LinuxExpo.org.uk village 6+7 Oct http://www.affs.org.uk