koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Koha Documentation Structure

From: Andres Tarallo
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Koha Documentation Structure
Date: Mon Oct 4 10:59:56 2004

MJ Ray wrote:

Here's my worries about your statement:

    "This document is copyrighted (c) 2004 by <your name here>.  Unless
otherwise stated, Koha documents are copyrighted by their respective
authors.

I'm not entirely sure that "to copyright" is a verb. If I remember correctly, copyright is a property of a creative expression which exists automatically in Berne Union states and does not require a distinct action to create it.

It's not bad, but certainly it can be better. You license something, and you hold a copyright onto something.

Koha-related documents may be reproduced and distributed in whole or
in part, in any medium physical or electronic, as long as this
copyright notice is retained on all copies.

[..]

Hope you don't mind, but I'd really rather we avoided making something non-free. It doesn't really seem necessary to make a new licence as there are enough out there already. By far the most common case of non-free software seen on debian-legal is people creating their own copyright licences and getting it "a bit wrong" or overlooking something.

Surely we can pick one or two known free software copyright licences which express the authors' wishes?

This could be the besto solution, something like the "contract" that debian devoleprs have.

Andres