Re: Recommendations of LMS

From: Jonathan Sandoval
Subject: Re: Recommendations of LMS
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2020 19:33:42 -0500

Techela-emacs was a nice discovery and I'll surely give it a try. But, I
think it wouldn't be a good fit for our use case.

I think my message lacked some context. We're not a formal educational
institution. We're a community initiative. In an old house there was an
outdated healt post. Because of new regulations, it was too expensive
for the community to keep on mantaining that place, and there were other
options for them. It wasn't like that in the 90s when it was created.

So, the community decided to transform the place in a cultural house. A
couple of years ago we started to teach contemporary dance because a
volunteer teacher appeared. Then, other teacher approached to teach
colombian salsa, and then other teacher offered himself to teach guitar
and so on.

We now have spaces for dance, teather, guitar, a library, and some
computers were donated recently. I proposed them to use free software,
and talked to them about it and they agreed. I choose Trisquel and was
in the process. I started my own project too; a science club with kids.

Because of COVID-19, our activites halted. As I mentioned, the people of
the cultural house are a mix of academics from univerties, but common
people without formal education and not much knowledge on computing. We
have a teacher of agroecology who is knowleadgeable about that topic,
but not much in computers.

I taught them to use Jitsi Meet and BigBlueButton. It was not
easy. Jitsi was a little simpler, but not everyone could use BBB. I
suspect the reason is an old cellphone, but the preventive isolation
does not allow me to really diagnose the problem. It's an example. Other
guys have really slow computers and most of them have Windows. We're
just beginning with free software and I haven't had the opportunity to
make an installation festival. And other problems have arisen.

So, expecting them to learn emacs, in Windows and Git does not sound
like a very good idea. For them, accesing a site with their browsers is
more natural, because all of them at least have an e-mail account. I
doubt 30 minutes are enough for learning emacs (I recently tried to show
the basics to a friend who's a programmer and is used to VSCode and he
seemed really confused and kind of gave up).

The other reasons is that our focus are not assignments. We want to
create educational resources for our classes.

Thanks again for your suggestions and ideas.