Re: Should we take steps to reduce russian access to Free Software?

From: Devin Ulibarri
Subject: Re: Should we take steps to reduce russian access to Free Software?
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 12:00:48 -0500

On 2/24/22 03:04, Jacob Hrbek wrote:
> Today russian forces invaded ukraine and started an unprovoked war
> with free software being used across russia and in the government
> thus playing a major role in russia's war capabilities.

What the FSF is taking action on immediately is abiding economic
sanctions against Russia. This effects distribution of shop orders and
membership cards, for example.

> Should we and can we take steps to prevent/reduce russia's access to
> our software?

We are working within the legal frameworks of this evolving situation,
and will seek legal advice when necessary. The details are complex
given the very nature of free (as in freedom) software.

In short, the FSF is taking the situation seriously. Thank you for
raising the point.

Thank you,
Devin
--
Devin Ulibarri // Outreach & Communications Coordinator
Free Software Foundation

Join the FSF and help us defend software freedom: https://my.fsf.org/

US government employee? Use CFC charity code 63210 to support us through
the Combined Federal Campaign. https://cfcgiving.opm.gov/

GPG Key: 2E0E CE75 F816 2B40 7D66 6767 8797 38E6 D644 0D57
What's GPG? See https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/ for more info.