Re: Should we take steps to reduce russian access to Free Software?

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: Should we take steps to reduce russian access to Free Software?
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 16:48:13 -0800

Setting aside the legal restrictions imposed on speech by the
free software foundation, who would decide what the FSF view
of particular armed conflicts between nations should be?
Who would be alienated?  Who would be in reactionary
opposition to the statement?

Similarly for a project.  Typically, a software project
is itself the work of many hands and typically it is
mostly made up of code written by many other projects.
Who gets to speak in this way for "the software" produced
as end-product by a project?

In the specific case, are you sure you want to say the
Russian Army shouldn't use free software?  Do you know
well enough how they might be using it to decide if it
is increasing violence or helping to reduce or resist it?
Is the army a monolith on such questions?

It's one thing to say that a circumstance is bad and that
everyone should do what they can to end violence and harm.
Another thing entirely to advocate for something as
distantly connected to what we know of what software systems
are in play and how.

Lastly, I would think we'd want free software to be thriving
in Russian and every society because that gives *users* greater
freedom to do what they think is best.  If all humans at least
on average tend towards non-violence and international
solidarity, my best is on as much access to free software
as possible, everywhere.

-t