Re: review new info on file layout

From: Cameron Horsburgh
Subject: Re: review new info on file layout
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 20:12:36 +1100

Graham Percival wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I've written some more docs about file structure and writing lilypond
> files.  I've glossed over some issues in the interest of simplicity.
> Before I advertise this on -user, could a few people take a look at the
> docs?  As I said, I've glossed over some issues -- did I omit anything
> which you think is vital, or mislead people?
>
> Sections 4.4, 4.5, 4.6:
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.7/Documentation/user/lilypond/Putting-it-
> all-together.html
>
> NB:  the version in 2.7.29 has some tabs instead of spaces; I've fixed
> this problem in CVS.
>
> Thanks,
> - Graham

At a first review, I'm quite impressed. It helps a lot, and it's
clarified my thinking on a few things.

You mention once or twice that users can use any names for variables
they like--I presume command names can't be used. This trivial case:

score = {a b c}
\score{\score}

fails for obvious reasons. If that is the case, perhaps a note should be
made, or a link to the section about using variables (2.18 Organizing
Larger Pieces--I wonder if the section on variables could be separated
out for easier reference?)

I also wonder if the instructions on commenting sections out could be
confusing for new users--it may be useful to add a note about commenting
single lines as well. (If you wanted to confuse things you could mention
that some editors will comment out regions too if needed.)

Overall it's a great addition to the manual. I'm a little put out
because I was starting to put together a few notes to do something
similar, but I'm sure I'll get over it!

Cameron