Re: review new info on file layout

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: review new info on file layout
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 09:55:48 +0100

On Monday 30 January 2006 23.53, Graham Percival wrote:
> On 29-Jan-06, at 10:26 PM, Don Blaheta wrote:
> > Speaking of indents, you need to grep on "indent|ident"; you have a
> > tendency to confuse the two (I noticed an error one direction in 4.2
> > and
> > the other in 5.8).
>
> Thanks.

BTW, is the meaning of the word 'indent' well-known among non-programmers? In
section 4.1 there's a suggestion "indent your braces" with no further
explanation. There's a risk that those who understand the sentence, are the
ones who already knew it's a good idea.

There's also a mistake in 4.5:
      \context Staff = singer {
        \context Voice = vocal { \melody }
        \lyricsto vocal \new Lyrics { \text }
      }
      \context PianoStaff = piano {
        \context Staff = upper { \upper }
        \context Staff = lower { \lower }
      }

- The outer braces should be << >> (using {} generates incorrect output)
- The following is a bit misleading:
      \context Staff = singer <<
        \context Voice = vocal { \melody }
        \lyricsto vocal \new Lyrics { \text }

The lyrics context is not part of the Staff context, and it might be created
after the PianoStaff (which typesets it below the PianoStaff).

The correct way would be:

      \context Staff = singer <<
        \context Voice = vocal { \melody }

      \new Lyrics \lyricsto vocal { \text }

(I think there's a minor pedagogical point in saying \new Lyrics before
\lyricsto, since the \new Lyrics really isn't a relevant argument of the
music function, and because all other contexts start with context names)

You could of course use \addlyrics instead.

--
Erik