Re: changing the midi instrument; broken

From: Ted Walther
Subject: Re: changing the midi instrument; broken
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:18:11 -0700

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 02:47:33PM +0200, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
I think the problem here was the general knowledge of how to set
properties, which certainly is described in the manual, but probably
not in the parts of the manual which you read the first time. In my
opinion, we cannot keep repeating the same information over and over in
the manual. Also, the current documentation of midiInstrument does say:
\set Staff.midiInstrument = "glockenspiel" ...notes...

which at least implicitly indicates that the setting should be done
just in connection with the actual notes, not anywhere else in the
file.

However, Ted is probably the best one to judge why it was hard to find
this information and propose how the documentation can be made even
clearer.

I hate to say it, but I confess I was reading the documentation the way
a Windows user would.  The lilypond manual is so good, and appears so
complete, that I forgot I was still in Unix land.  In Windows, there is
an immense amount of repetition, which saves people from hunting through
the documentation.  Each help topic assumes the user knows nothing, and
tells them what they need to complete the task at hand.  I need to bite
the bullet and read the whole manual straight through, which I will try
to do today.

The documentation of lyrics has got me befuddled on the notion of
contexts, as I haven't seen anywhere it clearly says what I can do in
lyricsmode that I can't do in lyricsto, although the documentation does
state that there is a difference.  Perhaps the complete read-through of
the manual will clear it up.

Ted

--
It's not true unless it makes you laugh, but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

Eukleia: Ted Walther
Address: 5690 Pioneer Ave, Burnaby, BC  V5H2X6 (Canada)
Contact: 604-430-4973