Re: GDP: welcome, helpers!

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: GDP: welcome, helpers!
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 12:17:12 -0500

On 9/21/07, Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote:
> I've posted initial instructions for GDP helpers here:
> http://opihi.cs.uvic.ca/~gperciva/helper.txt
>
> If somebody could send those to the list (as a reply to this), that
> would make it easier for other people to read.
>

> ASIDE: I wouldn't believe this if I didn't see it for myself, but
> attempting to send that email to the list causes the switch in my
> parent's house to stop working.  My brother theorizes that the power
> output of my ethernet interface is too high, and thus it disrupts the
> router when I attempt to send large packets.
>
> We tried repeated experiments, and this is 100% repeatable -- when I
> attempt to send that message, via SMPT (to gmail), HTTP (via gmail
> webmail), or even scp (to the current host), our switch stopped working.
>   I had to bzip that text file in order to scp it.  (!)
>
> We're not idiots or unfamiliar with computers -- I'm doing a Masters in
> the subject, and my brother has a Ph.D in computer science.  This is
> totally amazing.

Hi Graham,

>Trevor, IIRC you didn't officially sign up as a helper, but you're in
charge of the "Inspirational Headwords".  If you could come up with
something for Pitches and Rhythms soon, that would be awesome.  Remember
that these don't need to be existing, famous pieces of music; a portion
of your own compositions would be great for Rhythms.  Also remember that
we can always update stuff later.  Let's get something to slap in there
to demonstrate the concept.  :)

Will do.

Also, your power shenanigans are bizarre ... ;-)

--
Trevor Bača
address@hidden