Re: Make doc fails

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Make doc fails
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 04:58:18 -0600

On 8/28/11 3:29 AM, "address@hidden" <address@hidden> wrote:

> As for the convert-ly rule, I was under the impression that these rules were
> pushed on a version-to-version basis, and all syntax changes were written as
> one rule before the rolling of the next version.  The last time I added one
> was because the versions had changed and a rule didn't exist for the version
> during which a commit of mine happened.  Please let me know how you want me to
> go about this in the future - if there could be an entry in the CG about it,
> that'd help a great deal.

CG 10.8 has a set of steps for adding or modifying features:
10.8.1 -- write the code.
10.8.2 -- write regression tests.
10.8.3 -- Write convert-ly rule.
10.8.4 -- Automatically update documentation
10.8.5 -- Manually update documentation (if a NOT_SMART rule is used)
10.8.6 -- Edit changes.tely
10.8.7 -- Verify successful build
10.8.8 -- Verify regression tests
10.8.9 -- Post patch for comments
10.8.10 -- Push patch
10.8.11 -- Close issue

It seems like many of us (including me sometimes, and I wrote these steps in
the CG) are inclined to jump right from 10.8.2 to 10.8.9.

Please note that 10.8.4 and 10.8.5 do *not* require the programmer to make
sure the new change is documented.  They just require the programmer to make
sure the new change doesn't break the build system.

According to the CG, no patch should even be posted for review unless make
doc runs successfully.  Perhaps this rule is ignored because make doc takes
so long to run.

Mike, I think you've done a great job of contributing to LilyPond.  I'm
certainly not throwing rocks at you -- an occasional mistake is certainly a
small price to pay for all of the great contributions you've made.

Thanks,

Carl