Re: How to use LilyDev without systemd

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: How to use LilyDev without systemd
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2020 12:08:57 +0100

Hi Peter

Il giorno gio 9 gen 2020 alle 10:18, Peter Toye <address@hidden> ha scritto:
Dear Federico,

Thomas Morley forwarded you an email from http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/A-suggestion-add-rf-to-built-in-dynamics-td226659.html

One issue in it was that my Linux distro (antiX) does not have systemd, and it appears from the documentation that LilyDev needs it. I am a Linux newbie, and don't fully understand the container system. Apparently you are the expert on this.

Only the container (Lilydev-1-debian.tar.xz file) needs systemd.
The virtual machine (LilyDev-1-debian-vm.zip file) can be installed in VirtualBox or GNOME Boxes (or any libvirt frontend).

Another option, if you want to keep your lilypond dev environment separated from your system, is Debootstrap:
https://wiki.debian.org/Debootstrap

but then you must set up the system following the CG:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/requirements-for-compiling-lilypond#ubuntu
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/requirements-for-building-documentation

and build guile-1.8 using these commands:
https://github.com/fedelibre/LilyDev/blob/master/mkosi/debian/mkosi.postinst#L42

(copy lines 23-35 of that file to ~/.bashrc before compiling guile-1.8)

Is there any chance you could find time to let me know whether the container version of LilyDev will run under any of the easily-available container managers (Docker, LXC...)? If it wn't, I suppose that I will have to try to find a Linux version that will run on my rather ancient laptop.

Yes, if you can install Docker, you can use the Dockerfile contributed by Dan Eble:
https://github.com/fedelibre/LilyDev/tree/master/docker

It would be very useful to upload that Docker image to Docker Hub but I haven't found the time to do it yet (especially because I'm using Fedora, which switched to Podman as alternative to Docker.. and Podman doesn't have yet the Docker-compose feature..).