Re: poll: switching our development platform

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: poll: switching our development platform
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 12:50:05 +0200

Am Mittwoch, den 22.04.2020, 10:31 +0100 schrieb James Lowe:
> On 21/04/2020 18:54, Jonas Hahnfeld wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, den 15.04.2020, 21:15 +0200 schrieb Jonas Hahnfeld:
> > > With 2.21.0 done, I'd like to restart discussion about switching our
> > > development platform. To recall, we had proposals about using Gerrit
> > > [1] (don't miss follow-ups in March [2]) and GitLab / gitlab.com [3].
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > To conclude, I believe we should choose one of Gerrit and GitLab and
> > > have a trial to see if the processes can be carried over. (If not, we
> > > can still give the other platform a try.)
> > > I'd propose we kind of vote, so please reply with your thoughts.
> >
> > Okay, so let me try to briefly summarize the expressed opinions on the
> > list so far (correct me if I got something wrong or missed a point):
> > Han-Wen is in favor of Gerrit; David leans towards GitLab; Federico and
> > me are in favor of GitLab; Werner is fine with both solutions.
> > David, Dan, and Federico comment that Gerrit would still leaves us with
> > SF for hosting the issues; James says that image attachments (without
> > sharing links) are a good thing to have - as far as I understand for
> > both bug reports and reviews.
> >
> > Given that I would like to propose that we carry a trial of gitlab.com.
> > I would have liked this to happen in the
> > https://gitlab.com/lilypond
> >
> > group, but I haven't heard back from Janek on granting access. So I guess I
> > will prune the previous test migration and dump the current set of issues
> > to also make sure that we're satisfied with the migration script. I'll
> > announce once ready and whoever wants to participate can send me the
> > username on gitlab.com to add to the project.
> >
> > Jonas
>
> Let me know how this will affect my work with patch countdown and/or if
> there is anything you'd like me to start doing / checking to help speed
> this up.

In my opinion we shouldn't use real patches in the trial (or if we do,
also submit them "the old way"). Still it would be a great help if you
participated in the trial to make sure the process carries over.

I've run the migration script last night (~9h) and will now do some
post-processing. I'll keep all of you posted once we can start.

Jonas