Re: How to auto print empty measures?

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: How to auto print empty measures?
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2018 18:42:19 +0100

Am 28.12.18 um 21:22 schrieb Philip Bergwerf:
When working with Lilypond I want Lilypond to print the empty measures from
every instrument, like how Denemo is doing by default. For example: instr. 1
has 10 measures of music. I want lilypond to print the empty measures of all
staffs in the project. Is there a way to reach this? How?

Cheers, Philip Bergwerf

When setting up a new project I usually start with some code like the following (example code for piano trio). The s2.*80 marked “%XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX” is the essential line that fills every staff that uses \global with empty measures. It can and has to stay there when you fill in notes.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.18.2" % I use 2.19.82 but it’s the same for 2.18.2
\language "deutsch" % assuming you want dutch note names you won’t need this

global = {
  \key e \minor
  \time 3/4
  \tempo "Allegretto"
  s2.*80 %XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  \bar "|."
}

vl = \relative {
  % place violin notes here
}

vc = \relative {
  \clef bass
  % place cello notes here
}

rh = \relative {
  % place piano right hand notes here
}

lh = \relative {
  % place piano left hand notes here
}

% now build the score from the variables defined above
% note that “global” containing the s2.*80 is used in every staff

<<
  \new Staff << \global \vl >>
  \new Staff << \global \vc >>
  \new PianoStaff <<