Re: [GMG-Devel] Migrating from transifex (bis)

From: Boris Bobrov
Subject: Re: [GMG-Devel] Migrating from transifex (bis)
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 02:39:01 +0300

On Sunday 16 November 2014 18:23:12 Ineiev wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 04:16:01PM +0300, Boris Bobrov wrote:
> > While reading Pootle docs I've found that it can generate a PO from a
> > POT:
> > http://pootle.readthedocs.org/en/latest/features/templates.html#starting
> > -a-new-translation
> >
> > It also seems that pybabel generates POT. How can we make Pootle act on
> > this POT?
>
> but in fact, I'm not sure why we want to use Pootle to initially generate
> PO; it's basically just cp mediagoblin.pot mediagoblin.$lang.po; more
> precisely, one can cd $pot_dir; msginit -l cv_RU.utf8 mediagoblin.cv.po (of
> course, humans still can fill more fields reasonably than msginit does).

What I don't like about it is that it would require having someone with commit
access available and ready to add that languange. In my opinion, it should be
more easy to add a new language, than doing some change in the code.

> Perhaps the "Temlate" language should be present

Pootle docs say that

> If the templates language is absent from a project, Pootle will assume files
under the project’s source language are translation templates.

Maybe mediagoblin.en.po will be sufficient?

> and Pootle may not understand directory layout, anyway

I am not sure why we have this layout. I don't understand why we have this
LC_MESSAGES prefix; I know it's the same in Django and I don't know the source
of that layout either. It'd be nice of Pootle to support it if it is so
popular, but, well.

--
С наилучшими пожеланиями,
Boris