Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Stable update process (was Re: mxe for window

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Stable update process (was Re: mxe for windows 7 (64 bit))
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 15:40:10 +1000

On 22/07/2013, at 7:12 PM, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:

> That's a valid way of thinking. However, let's face it: In these
> times, version numbers are mostly for marketing purposes. So feel
> free to jump from 2.x to 3.0 as soon as you think we need some
> extra attention. ;-)  [1]
>
> However, for this release I think it's sufficient to name it 2.23
> and to make it public on platforms like Freecode.com and others.
> The last release was more than a year ago, so the release will
> give us more than enough attention.

Did you previously announce releases on the mingw.org mailing list? Subscribers
of that list (and now mingw-w64) would likely be interested in mxe, but I'm not
sure if it's appropriate.

> Or, maybe this way of thinking is already obsolete, as nobody
> cares about version numbers anymore? Not sure.

Let's see what happens in the next six months. If we're able to do frequent
updates, we could drop the version numbers and simply announce "Stable Release
yyyy-mm". You mentioned earlier that version numbers also imply a tag/branch -
let's see if any new users ask how to obtain a specific version.

The only other process question is release criteria. The open issues at the
moment are outdated native versions and a strange edge case with cmake's hdf5
detection. The former is well know, and the latter can be fixed in stable at a
later date (since nothing depends on the affect packages itk and vtk6) - I
think this release is ready to go.

Cheers,

Tony