Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Stable update process (was Re: mxe for window

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Stable update process (was Re: mxe for windows 7 (64 bit))
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 11:12:48 +0200

Tony Theodore schrieb:
> On 21/07/2013, at 8:39 PM, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Tony Theodore schrieb:
> >> That seems clear, the stable branch is both the changelog and download,
> >> and the release is the tested updates from master.
> >>
> >> The only other minor thing is (in)significance of numbering. We'll end up
> >> with a "2.99" at some stage, and major.minor isn't really applicable. This
> >> will be the 30th release, should we call it "Release 30" and just
> >> increment it from there? (maybe adding a yyyy-mm?)
[...]
> > The major version is meant to indicate backwards-incompatible
> > changes to the public interface. While this is mostly clear
> > for libraries and command line tools, it is of course fuzzy
> > for a project like MXE. I decided to switch from 1.x to 2.x
> > when I changed the main script from a shell script to a Makefile,
> > which was quite a huge change in the "public interface" of MXE.
>
> Sounds good, something like adding dynamic/shared builds would possibly
> constitute such a change - especially if we want to run them side-by-side.

That's a valid way of thinking. However, let's face it: In these
times, version numbers are mostly for marketing purposes. So feel
free to jump from 2.x to 3.0 as soon as you think we need some
extra attention. ;-)  [1]

However, for this release I think it's sufficient to name it 2.23
and to make it public on platforms like Freecode.com and others.
The last release was more than a year ago, so the release will
give us more than enough attention.

Or, maybe this way of thinking is already obsolete, as nobody
cares about version numbers anymore? Not sure.

Regards,
Volker

[1] Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the first
    person who expressed this view in public was Paul Graham
    in his essay "The Other Road Ahead":

--
Volker Grabsch