[Monotone-devel] Re: oh, licenses! [Re: Problem when commiting]

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: oh, licenses! [Re: Problem when commiting]
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 21:55:17 -0400

Andre Nathan wrote:

I fully agree. Source code is what is most important. The thing is that
there's no risk at all that the free parts will become unfree, because
since you released it as free software in the first place, anyone
interested can always get a copy from your distribution.

yes. this point does not need clarification; I know how licenses work.

nonetheless, I am giving vendors a benefit by releasing my source code under liberal terms. I want vendors to give me a benefit by using their web servers, their advertizing dollars, their customer contacts, and their sales people to distribute my source code.

That's why I like the BSD-style licenses. They're simple, free and
everyone knows what it means.

ok. I think most people who would care know what LGPL means now too, so I don't feel this is a major worry.

-graydon