[Monotone-devel] Problem when commiting

From: Andre Nathan
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Problem when commiting
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 01:19:00 -0300 (BRT)

Hi

I was using the binary distribution (from monotone.bz2) succesfully, but I
decided to build 0.11 from source, and I have a problem with it: when I
use the ``commit'' command without a log message, I get the following
error:

$ monotone commit
monotone: committing 4cf5fd514bbf86e3b104d4c901b770983267bf48
monotone: committing to branch test
monotone: misuse: edit of log message failed

**** error return code: 1
******** errors detected; see standard output for details ********

If I provide a log message on the command line, the commit works, so I
suspect something's wrong with the Lua hooks (?). However, if I change
edit_comment() to be just

function edit_comment(commentary)
  os.execute("vi", "/tmp/foo")
end

the editor shows up correctly.

My build isn't using any of the bundled programs. Here are the versions I
used:

boost_1_31_0
lua-5.0.2
sqlite-2.8.13
adns-1.1

Is there a way to enable more verbose/meaningful error messages?

Regards,
Andre