[Monotone-devel] Re: Problem when commiting

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Problem when commiting
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 15:59:14 -0400

Andre Nathan wrote:

OK, It seems to be working now.

Would you guys mind if I sent a patch to luaposix to add mkstemp()?
(I know it's defined on stdlib.h, but my manual page says it conforms to
4.3BSD and POSIX).

I am asking because I assume that the code would be GPL'd, while
luaposix is on the public domain, so I believe one would need
explicit permission from the developers to add it to software
with a less restrictive license.

oh, it's a tiny function.. a couple lines of completely obvious wrapper; I doubt you need any permission from me. and if you did, PD isn't really so fun because afaik there is implicit legal liability or something; I'd prefer something at least warranty-disclaiming like MIT if you want to feed monotone code elsewhere. mostly monotone is GPL for compatibility with adns, which I am in the process of removing (0.12 will no longer have it). after that I'll probably ask the parties involved (a handful of people on this list) if we can relicense under LGPL, because it tends to ruffle fewer feathers.

out of curiosity, is there something wrong with the io.mkstemp() I put in monotone's bundled copy of lua? if so, I'd like to also fix it in our bundled version.

-graydon