nano-devel

Re: [RFC] a scroll bar on the right that shows position and portion

From: Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita
Subject: Re: [RFC] a scroll bar on the right that shows position and portion
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 20:24:30 -0300

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 8:02 PM Brand Huntsman <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 16:05 Thu 23-Apr-2020, Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita wrote:
> > The updated version is already very contrasty, but I implemented your
> > request. It looks better to me too. Please take a look.
>
> First patch displayed one or more asterisks in reverse video. Second
> patch displays a reverse video bar with no indication of position
> (urxvt). It works fine in xterm and kind of works in linux console.

I can easily go back to the higher contrast option. Which is preferred?

> Any chance it could adjust indicator height to the ratio of edit window
> height and total buffer length?

Can you explain what do you mean by this? If the indication height
(H_i) is the ratio between the edit window height (H_w) and the buffer
length (B_l) that means H_i = (H_w/B_l) and if B_l > H_w then H_i will
be < 1; a indicator height less than one... I don't understand what
that means.

The current implementation makes H_i *proportional* to the ratio
H_w/B_l . That means the bigger the buffer is, the smaller is
indicator height. And that is the way most scroll bars I know work.

> And hide scrollbar if buffer length
> is less than edit window height.

I think this may be easy to do but may take a few more lines.