Re: graphics issues (was: Re: moving toward a 3.0 release)

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: graphics issues (was: Re: moving toward a 3.0 release)
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 15:16:09 -0400

On 29-Sep-2006, Sebastien Loisel wrote:

| Ok, what Bill said is that given a back-end that can draw lines, triangles
| and text, the rest he's taken care of.

My guess is that Bill wasn't thinking about 3D graphics.  Or how to
handle tic marks etc.  Or maybe he was.  Bill?

| Even if you didn't use Bill's code, there's an advantage to having the tick
| and label placement logic in .m files. You're the one who kept asking me for
| the least amount of stuff to be done in C++ as possible, and the most
| possible in .m files.

Sure, it's a reasonable goal, but if some code already exists to do
the job and there's a way for us to use it, there's no point in
reinventing it as a .m file.  So does OpenGL have good routines for
autoplacement of tic marks and axis labels given data ranges and font
metrics?