openexr-user

Re: [SPAM] Re: [Openexr-user] Questions for more experienced users

From: Kevin Wheatley
Subject: Re: [SPAM] Re: [Openexr-user] Questions for more experienced users
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 09:45:50 +0000

Florian Kainz wrote:
A mip-mapped OpenEXR file is 33% larger than a single-resolution file,
and the data rate required for real-time recording increases correspondingly.
(Some file formats, for example JPEG2000, use a clever compression method
that allows you to extract a lower or higher resolution image depending on
how much of the file you read.  Such a multi-resolution file is no larger
than an equivalent single-resolution file.  Explicitly storing the lower-
resolution levels makes OpenEXR files larger, but the multi-resolution capability becomdes independent of the compression method, and image
writers have full control over the content of the lower-resolution images.
The writer may have specific requirements for filtering, subsampling and
treatment of edges.

Yes JPEG 2000's available sub resolutions are constructed using a fixed set of wavelet filters, even comparing them to the usual suspects for subsampling their ferequency response isn't ideal for our uses, plus the decoding isn't exactly fast!

Re Ben's telecine suggestion ... well thats a can of worms... IF you take a view of OpenEXR representing 'focal plane' colourimetry, then the scanner and telecine manufacturers are going to have to add some seriously 'out of domain' user tweakable functions, e.g. allowing for CTL transforms derived from the settings the grader/colourist used (it gets worse if you need to include lab effects), this would be real ugly to get operationally working across the different facilities and machines. much simpler to have them output something nearer the film density space and convert separately.

Kevin

--
| Kevin Wheatley, Cinesite (Europe) Ltd | Nobody thinks this      |
| Senior Technology                     | My employer for certain |