openexr-user

RE: [Openexr-user] Questions for more experienced users

From: Chris Cox
Subject: RE: [Openexr-user] Questions for more experienced users
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 10:02:08 -0800

Too many people are making my point for me.

You're arguing about bugs in implementations, and in some cases just
misunderstandings of terminology, rather than anything inherent in the file
format or the libraries used to work with those file formats.

If you are going to argue for a particular file format or library:  learn the
details of the format and the library and argue those points.
Don't bring in "well, my 10 year old app can't read this one file, so the
format must be crap", because it really isn't true or relevant.  Just because
some software (or titler) vendor won't fix their file format implementation
bugs without being clubbed over the head by users, that doesn't mean that the
problems cannot be fixed or that there is anything in the format or library
itself preventing interoperation.  There will always be some company that has
an intern implement their file formats and doesn't want to fix them.   And
there will be companies that take shortcuts that come back to haunt your
workflow.  Unfortunately, that's life.

Please, please, please stick to facts about the formats and libraries.
Leave the ignorance and historical accidents out of it.

Chris