pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] some patches

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] some patches
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 11:43:39 -0800

On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 06:15:33PM +0530, Haran Shivanan wrote:
> Module 'Colin Leroy' core dumped on Sun, 5 Jan 2003 with the following output
>
> > sorry to say so, but how do you want standards to be used if even Good
> > Projects don't respect them?
> > Mozilla's pickiness about standards have been a pain in the beginning but
> > on the long term it's helping websites to become better. Same goes for
> > sigs imho...
>
> Those were my intial thoughts. But, one of the software design
> principles I've come across is:
> "Be stringent in what you send and flexible in what you accept"
>
> IMHO, making the program flexible for the user (it's really cumbersome,
> having to manually edit out the sigs) is more important than trying to
> stubbornly make everyone follow the standard.
>
> But thats just my opinion.
> I guess its a matter of individual perspective.

I agree with that principle. and think Pan should understand how to read
articles that omit the space after the sig delimiter.  IMO the only thing
we need to make sure of, as Colin pointed out, is that we don't take
a two-hyphen line from the middle of an article and mistakenly interpret
it as a signature.

cheers,
Charles