pan-users

[Pan-users] 0.9x dependencies (Was:Version 0.91 impressions)

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: [Pan-users] 0.9x dependencies (Was:Version 0.91 impressions)
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 11:35:27 -0500

Graham wrote:
I am running MEPIS 3.4, a Debian derivative that uses KDE as its desktop. I tried to install Pan 0.91 and found I had so many dependencies from GNOME that I would, in effect be installing a mini GNOME desktop. The .deb file on version 0.14.2 installs fine on my present system.

I appreciate that Pan is designed to be a newsreader for GNOME but it must be the de facto standard newsreader for Linux. Isn't it about time that it was made non-desktop dependent?

Pan already is non-desktop dependent.
It only has three manditory dependencies:

  pcre >= 5.0
  GMime >= 2.1
  Gtk >= 2.4 (though 2.8 or higher is _strongly_ recommended)

There are also two optional dependencies:

  GtkSpell >= 2.0.7 (for spellchecking)
  libgnome >= 2.0 (for url handling)

If libgnome isn't used, Pan currently falls back to the
$BROWSER environmental variable.

cheers,
Charles