pan-users

[Pan-users] Version 0.91 impressions

From: Jim Reiss
Subject: [Pan-users] Version 0.91 impressions
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 15:29:49 -0600 (MDT)

I see on the developer list that the current beta's limited options are
meant to be complained about, to get a sense of what was used and what
wasn't...at least as far as preferences go.  I've just built the 0.91
version and started trying it out, and some initial impressions:

It appears that all tasks disappear if you exit the program.  I don't
know if that's the case with a crash, but either way I think there
should at least be an option to resume tasks from a previous session.  I
have sometimes exited the CVS version because it got stuck on a
download, and would have been disappointed if the tasks had vanished.

I'd really like to be able to change the layout from the default.

I very much miss the option to get headers from all subscribed groups,
and the ability to turn off the option that says to get new headers whenever
you enter a group.  Despite the speedups, getting a lot of headers in
some groups still takes a while, and so I'd rather just tell it to go do
that and then come back later when all of the headers have been
retrieved.

It appears that there's no way to select multiple groups simultaneously
for actions like downloading headers or marking articles read.  This can
be handy sometimes, and was what I tried as a workaround when I
couldn't tell it to download from all subscribed newsgroups.  I guess
"delete group's articles" is also gone?  Sometimes I liked to wipe out
everything and download only a certain number.

Is there any way to prioritize one server over another for downloading?
Some have unlimited plans, while some charge by bandwidth used.