pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] files for imhotep82 git ef96111 - "patches_for_imhotep82

From: Heinrich Mueller
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] files for imhotep82 git ef96111 - "patches_for_imhotep82_master_GIT-ef96111.diff" yEnc (1/1) 5073 bytes - "bassang2.zip" yEnc
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 07:35:06 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 03:54:48 +0000, SciFi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 21:37:23 +0200, Heinrich Mueller wrote:
>> […]
>> (btw, you _could_ use uudeview to check the files...
>
> I forgot to mention that I _did_ try uudeview first.
> Running with the same two messages:
>
> $ uudeview -i *msg Note: No encoded data found in
> address@hidden Note: No
> encoded data found in
> address@hidden
Should be fixed, see attachment ...

> Even with -d and/or -z or -z2, same result: no encoded data found.
>
> Its usage text says in part:
>
>   UUDEVIEW 0.5pl20 - the nice and friendly decoder - (w) 1994 Frank
>   Pilhofer
>
> I believe that's still current after all these years.  ;)
>
> Anyway,
> It seems yydecode can give us better indications of what's wrong with
> those posts (already shown earlier in this thread).
>
> What I might not trust, is the _encoder_ used by uuEnview for the yEnc
> method.  I'm afraid there's been some adjustments made to the way
> encoding should be done, since 1994, as I distinctly remember there were
> problems in the early days of yEnc.
>
> That's why I keep insisting to ask you to study other projects such as
> yencee-at-Sourceforge, where we've already put those adjustments into
> the encoding side of things.  (I'm one who wants to be sure that we
> encode the dot '.' if it is found in the 1st column, because we have
> known certain buggy servers still misflag that as an EOM indicator even
> with more text on that same line.)
This is already fixed in uuencode.c.

> BTW thanks for the nzb, but I also would want to download any test
> postings as text-messages, then study how they are being created on the
> server itself.  I don't know how to do this with an nzb (save as
> original text), so I would need to fetch recent headers for that group
> and play around with the downloads in various fashions.  ;)
>
> It would help immensely if Pan would accept a simple Message-ID string,
> and/or as part of a <news:messageid> URI thing, no matter what group
> it's in, and try to fetch it directly.  (We have this mechanism in OSX,
> but I don't know how to use the mechanism to invoke a non-native X11
> app,
> which would be the reverse of the Pan-to-webbrowserURL logic that
> already exists in Pan for OSX browsers, I wonder if I ought to try
> working on it sometime somehow.)
I'll see to implement a drag-n-drop feature that does that...

> Another BTW, I have started a discussion on the Xquartz-devel list/group
> (it's available on Gmane), as we're trying to find out how to debug
> other aspects of this version of X11 etc.
> Either I try fixing things with Apple's problems, as well,
> or I very definitely am going to jump-ship sooner than later.  ;)
Good luck, and don't get wet. ;)

> Thanks for putting up with me.  I hope we can make Pan the best open
> free newsreader ever.  :)
No problem, you make me aware of the bugs to be fixed, that's cool.

--
roses are 0xff0000, violets are 0x0000ff, all my base are belong to you...

=ybegin line=128 size=160 name=bassang2.zip
zu-.>*,*2**��K���3T***N,address@hidden@address@hidden,>*>*,*2**��K���3T***N,**4*********J*ޫ**
=yend size=160 crc32=42b32f2f