pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] files for imhotep82 git ef96111 - "patches_for_imhotep82

From: SciFi
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] files for imhotep82 git ef96111 - "patches_for_imhotep82_master_GIT-ef96111.diff" yEnc (1/1) 5073 bytes
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 03:54:48 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 21:37:23 +0200, Heinrich Mueller wrote:
> […]
> (btw, you _could_ use uudeview to check the files...

I forgot to mention that I _did_ try uudeview first.
Running with the same two messages:

$ uudeview -i *msg
Note: No encoded data found in address@hidden
Note: No encoded data found in address@hidden

Even with -d and/or -z or -z2, same result: no encoded data found.

Its usage text says in part:

  UUDEVIEW 0.5pl20 - the nice and friendly decoder - (w) 1994 Frank Pilhofer

I believe that's still current after all these years.  ;)

Anyway,
It seems yydecode can give us better indications of what's wrong
with those posts (already shown earlier in this thread).

What I might not trust, is the _encoder_ used by uuEnview for the
yEnc method.  I'm afraid there's been some adjustments made to the
way encoding should be done, since 1994, as I distinctly remember
there were problems in the early days of yEnc.

That's why I keep insisting to ask you to study other projects such
as yencee-at-Sourceforge, where we've already put those adjustments
into the encoding side of things.  (I'm one who wants to be sure that
we encode the dot '.' if it is found in the 1st column, because we
have known certain buggy servers still misflag that as an EOM indicator
even with more text on that same line.)

BTW thanks for the nzb, but I also would want to download any test
postings as text-messages, then study how they are being created on the
server itself.  I don't know how to do this with an nzb (save as original
text), so I would need to fetch recent headers for that group and play
around with the downloads in various fashions.  ;)

It would help immensely if Pan would accept a simple Message-ID string,
and/or as part of a <news:messageid> URI thing, no matter what group it's
in, and try to fetch it directly.  (We have this mechanism in OSX, but
I don't know how to use the mechanism to invoke a non-native X11 app,
which would be the reverse of the Pan-to-webbrowserURL logic that
already exists in Pan for OSX browsers, I wonder if I ought to try
working on it sometime somehow.)

Another BTW, I have started a discussion on the Xquartz-devel list/group
(it's available on Gmane), as we're trying to find out how to debug other
aspects of this version of X11 etc.
Either I try fixing things with Apple's problems, as well,
or I very definitely am going to jump-ship sooner than later.  ;)

Thanks for putting up with me.  I hope we can make Pan the best
open free newsreader ever.  :)