pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Please test my updated github master branch

From: Heinrich Mueller
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Please test my updated github master branch
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 08:05:17 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 00:15:52 +0000, walt wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Jul 2011 13:44:19 +0000, Heinrich Mueller wrote:
>
>> For those that know how to : Please test my code for bugs in the
>> following modules if you have the time:
>> - Upload functionality - Log functionality (right click on multipart
>> posts)
>> - Threading in discussions
>

> Cheers Heinrich.  I've pulled and compiled the latest from your git
> repo, and I'm using the resulting binary to make this post :)
>
> I hope you won't mind a minor detour away from pan, so I can tell a
> cherished story:
>
> For about two years I tracked, compiled, and tested the public svn
> repository for the VirtualBox Open Source Edition (OSE) project.  During
> that time I read hundreds of commit messages from the vbox devs, but
> this one is my all-time favorite:
>
> aarghh!
>
> That was it, the entire commit message in one word.  I could feel his
> pain but I still wished for a more descriptive message (after I stopped
> laughing).
>
> I can see the happy word "bugfix" in your commit messages, but I'm not a
> good enough coder to look at the patches to understand which bug you are
> fixing.
>
> Hmm, wait a minute.  I just did git log -p and I see now that you've
> been documenting your patches in the source files instead of the commit
> messages.  Well, I learned something today, thanks :)
>
> But, I still don't know enough to tell exactly what tests you are asking
> us to do. Can you be more specific about how to do the tests you need?
>
> And thanks for contributing to the pan project :)

Yes, sorry for my short commit messages, those were intermediate commits
to save my work. I never used "arghhh!", though ;) . I'm relatively new
to git. I don't know how to "merge" two commits into one, for example,
yet.
Thanks for your reply. What I need debugged is the upload functionality
in general, i.e. uploading binary files to for example alt.binaries.test,
replying to those uploads with pure text, testing different encodings
(I implemented text(no encoding), BASE64 and yEnc). So far, for me there
were no errors as of yet, but perhaps someone notices something (??).

I can tell you what I changed/added so far in/to pan's code:
- I changed the log to display (right-click) the success/failure messages
  for every part of a multi-part upload.
- Encoding with the two mentioned algorithms (right-click for popup-menu)
- Fixed threading for multiple references (pan only checked for one
  reference, and so it read over "bytes" and "lines" in the xover and
  converted it to numbers. bad....)
- Fixed uuencodepartial crc32 initializing and handling of files (now the
  user CAN byte-encode the files, i.e. for example every file has the
  decoded size of 512 kb for par2 repair purposes (thanks, SciFi, for the
  idea)
- Part selection (for example if you only want to upload parts 1-4 of one
  file) (right-click for popup-menu)
- Auto-save draft after a certain amount of time as
  ~/.$PAN_HOME/article-drafts/autosave (see prefs)

One thing to note about uploads: Once you add the uploads to the list,
the subject etc is saved from the current dialog. It can't be changed
then.
I don't know what's better: to not change it or to update it before the
upload will be executed. If the user can change it in the last second,
you can't do multiple different uploads, as the subject will be over-
written for the first queued files that didn't have this one.
OTOH, perhaps that's not what the user wants: Perhaps you want to have
the _same_ subject for _every_ file in the queue (??).
Another option would be to allow for a popup option to change those
details, for example as part of the already existing popup menu for
parts selection.

To put it short: Testing <==> Uploading and verifying uploads. Just don't
spam innocent groups ;) . What would be cool, too, would be to experiment
with different article part sizes in the Preferences and then NOT
uploading certain parts to usenet and seeing if par2 can repair the
missing ones.

Thanks again for your thanks and happy bug hunting ;)

--
roses are 0xff0000, violets are 0x0000ff, all my base are belong to you...