pan-users

[Pan-users] it seems my attachments can't be re-created (Re: Please test

From: SciFi
Subject: [Pan-users] it seems my attachments can't be re-created (Re: Please test my updated github master branch)
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 09:19:31 +0000 (UTC)

Hi again,

It seems there is a problem with file-uploads, too, now.
The attachments cannot be re-created with your GIT ef96111.
Pan's log says "No encoded data found" for those posts.

I found the yydecode project at Sourceforge (yes double-'y' there).

After I saved the text for each message, yydecode says this:

$ yydecode -b -v -v *msg
yydecode: address@hidden: Processing
yydecode: address@hidden: patches_for_imhotep82_master_GIT-ef96111.diff:1: yEnc
file (>=1 parts)
yydecode: address@hidden: Assertion `part_begin >= 0' failed -- output may be
corrupt
yydecode: address@hidden: Processing
yydecode: address@hidden: Gmane_500What_.log:1: yEnc file (>=1 parts)
yydecode: address@hidden: Assertion `part_begin >= 0' failed -- output may be
corrupt
yydecode: patches_for_imhotep82_master_GIT-ef96111.diff:1: Part broken (of 1
parts)
yydecode: patches_for_imhotep82_master_GIT-ef96111.diff: wrote 0 bytes; should
have been 0
yydecode: Gmane_500What_.log:1: Part broken (of 1 parts)
yydecode: Gmane_500What_.log: wrote 0 bytes; should have been 0

$ _

These files should have been small enough such that they won't need the
"part" designation, based on the Preference setting (byte-count per file).
-OR-
There is no proper yEnc "ending part" to say there is no more.

Also, my text introduction was repeated for each file in separate
postings, with no Reference line(s) joining the messages themselves
(while the proper Reference was included to follow your original
posting only).

However, as I said just above, these probably should all be combined into
one single posting, see.

I've also noticed that some of the message-editor-panel options were
not obeyed, such as not including the User-Agent line when I've got that
box checked/on, but the X-Face _was_ included.  :D

…

I've got more to say about file-uploads,
separate from the other discussions.

What Pan might need is a better way to tell whether the files need to be
all-included into a single message/article/post.  I think this might be
called a "multi-file post", or "all files be in-lined with the text
message" … something like that.  ;)

Actually, maybe the user should designate this setting himself somehow.
Because maybe the user has intentions to do bulk binary uploads such as
a 700MB AVI as I noted in previous discussion, but other uploads be
"files to be in-lined with a single text message".  ;D

This can be totally complex, I know.
That's probably why *ix systems should have all sorts of simpler tools
to use for such different purposes.  ;)

…

One more request:
I think this kind of testing should be discussed in the
pan-devel list/group, and not in the pan-users.
It definitely can't use e-mail or the github messaging service,
because we need to be able to pass actual NNTP postings
to each-other like this.

…

For grins, I will try uploading these two files with the yencee script
found at Sourceforge, as I've mentioned in other discussion threads.
It'll be one file per posting, but I'll try to make them include the
proper Reference line to be inside this particular thread (I've been
working on enhancing yencee to include custom headers if needed, but
it needs to be coded manually for now).

Let me post this very message,
then use its Message-ID for the yencee postings a bit later.