paperclips-discuss

RE: [Paperclips-discuss] Log Formats

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: RE: [Paperclips-discuss] Log Formats
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 21:27:28 +0100

>>> ralhan <address@hidden> 19-Jul-01 9:24:43 PM >>>

   Well it is my feeling and intention that in case of
   open standard of servlets , we should even have
   logging formats same for all servlet containers so
   that people moving containers have ease in debugging
   and understanding behaviour.

I see... If you feel that way you should probably send a mail to the
Servlet spec lead. You'll find the address on the front of the spec.

The problem with what you are proposing is that people want to do all
sorts of different things. Some servlets don't want to log anything
and others want to log everything.

Where there is a need for a standard is with webserver logs.

But as you pointed out the Apache server provides a standard for
that. The question is whether Paperclips can support that as a filter
which will allow the user to apply that logging to every single
request.

Nic said:
   To be honest the current situation is a mess but it works. It's
   largely based on the frustrations I've felt with other server's
   loggers.

Ralhan said:
    same feeling

Ok. But if I'm going to get anywhere with logging I need people to
tell me what they want from it.

Apache style logging via a filtrer is cool and I'd like to do that
(eventually) but is there anything else?

If you don't tell me the sorts of things you want to do I can only do
what I want.

Nic