[Savannah-hackers] Re: What's up?

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: What's up?
Date: 04 Sep 2003 21:17:04 +0200

Richard Stallman <address@hidden> said:

> I have been occasionally suggesting "Would you like to help run Savannah"
> when someone says he would like to help.

Yes, and that's ok.

But please, now at this point, send people to sysadmins.

Currently we have no manpower issue at Savannah.

- We have no problem handling the registration.
- We have many persons that contribute to the code currently and the
  main task is coordination.
- All the pending request we have from users are not related to
  Savannah

The previous month, I was not able to maintain as I usually do
Savannah, that's why we Rudy was a bit exhausted.

But with the changes we introduced in the past 2 years on Savannah,
maintaining it does no longer takes so much time for someone that's
have to time.

Vincent Caron and Nic Ferrier recently joined.

I do not think we need someone else right now. We're at least,
including Nic and Vincent, 4 persons, and that's perfectly enough.
In the past, we were 3 or 2 and we had lesser useful tools and it's
was still working fine.
(I do not mention Loic and Jaime because they have enough work to do
with EUCD, courses and are not really active on Savannah - which is
not a problem)

What we really need know is pretty clear:

        - A responsive staff of sysadmins to handle the machines that
        are not savannah.gnu.org
        I think they surely lack of manpower
        All the current complains of users are related to that

        - Some hardware. One year ago, I noticed that before the end
        of this year we were probably running out of disk space. To
        face the situation, I sent a bunch of mails and I moved some
        rather unused data to a temporary location.
        Since then, I never received any answer about that and know
        we're going to run out of disk space soon or later.

So I think that's manpower at savannah is really not a problem
now.

About Nic message received later:

        It's not possible to setup more than one view of the bug and
        task lists for regular viewing (eg: I can't quickly get a list
        of bugs assigned to me and a list of unassigned, opened bugs).

All these problem have been already addressed and I'm right now at
Cern to discuss the design of the new trackers, that will be all based
on the current bug tracker (that will permit many enhancement).
Currently, it's really easy to see unassigned and opened bugs, I do not
understand the problem here.

        I am going to alleiviate this tool problem a little bit by
        adding

You should delay that project until I agree with the CERN people and
the Karlsruhe University for the database cleaning. Things will
heavily change soon.

        The organisation of this stuff is key I think because the
        easier  is to deal with problems the more savannah-hackers we'll be
        able to get involved (more people like me for example, with little
        spare time to give to the project).

While the savannah code base can be enhanced in many ways, while we
should have multiple computers (which is not a problem with the
current code base), I do not agree at all with the idea that the
current system let us to much work to do. It has not worked for two
years without proving to be a little bit useful.
There is much to do for the codebase, not for the administration --
and it's not even really a manpower issue.

There's no savannah-specific task that can be done right now (one
project to moderate perhaps, submitted 3 hours ago).

So in the current state of thing, if people want to help savannah, it
should help the sysadmins.

  Homepage:
    http://yeupou.coleumes.org
  Not a native english speaker: