Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: What's up?

From: Rudy Gevaert
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: What's up?
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 09:37:33 -0400

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 11:01:45PM +0100, Nic wrote:
> More people helping savannah means less work for all of us and more
> and larger loads. It can't be a bad thing.

What could help is some people only answering support requests.  That
wouldn't be much work and wouldn't require much time from us.

The moderation of projects should only be for a couple of people as it
is a hudge responsibility.  See my other mail for that.

> I agree with that. But maintaining the GNU machines is a much more
> delicate job than maintaining savannah. The GNU machines have "real"
> walking and talking users that they must serve, as well as projects
> like savannah. Trust is therefore extreemly important.

I think running and maintainning Savannah is at least even delicate.

Hosted Projects: 1,851
  - 247 GNU
  - 1,573 non-GNU
  - 31 www.gnu.org
Registered Users: 20,017

Of course not everybody that is registered or registered a project
uses Savannah.  But it wouldn't be fun if Savannah would go down and all
those users would would start complaining...

I can already see it on Slashdot: Savannah goes down and takes X
projects down with them.

> >         - Some hardware. One year ago, I noticed that before the end
> >         of this year we were probably running out of disk space. To
> >         face the situation, I sent a bunch of mails and I moved some
> >         rather unused data to a temporary location.
> >         Since then, I never received any answer about that and know
> >         we're going to run out of disk space soon or later.
>
> I agree with this as well. In the short term an extra disc or two
> wouldn't go amiss.

Like I said, we are still waiting for an answers of that...

> It's a terrible risk Mathieu, to run a system with this few
> people. If you were taken ill now could Rudy take over? No, he's busy
> with his exams. Could I take over? No, I just don't have that kind of
> time.

I do think Loic or Jaime could jump in.  I could too, but only half an
hour a day.  This is enough to do 'some' moderation, but I see your
point.

> It's not a bad system. I'm not critising the savannah code or the
> marvellous work you and all the other savannah hackers have done. But
> there is room for improvement. As a fledgling savannah hacker
> (without a lot of time) I feel the need for more tools to monitor the
> situation. With such tools I would feel confident enough that I could
> manage savannah on my own for a week, even with my limited time.

Sorry I can't agree with that, or it could be that I don't get what
your are saying.

To administrate (moderation, support requests, bugtracker) Savannah we
have all the current tools.

The administration in itself is not a big problem.  We have may not
forget that we are dealing with people.

All moderation done could be done easily if the people would read our
guidelines or our comments.

That takes up most of the time:  say two to three or more times the
same to a user till he gets it.  Or till he finally does what you
asked him.

(And is not a question of us saying/asking it the wrong way.)

Web page                    http://www.webworm.org
GNU/Linux for schools       http://www.nongnu.org/glms
Savannah hacker             http://savannah.gnu.org