Re: Two little features (and a bounty?)

From: Dan Mahoney, System Admin
Subject: Re: Two little features (and a bounty?)
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 01:48:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008, Micah Cowan wrote:

Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
That's unlikely to be true. The applications on the other end of the SSH
tunnel requested the click events, first (based on the TERM env var
having something like "xterm" in it: they check for that value
explicitly, but usually don't recognize "screen" as a mouse-capable term
name). Try running your ssh session under script, and check for the
\E1001h, etc, sequences, in the resulting typescript.

This is wrong.  Setting the $TERM to "xterm" within screen does not
cause nano -m to work for me.

It does for me, over your provided ssh access. I'll provide the full
details when I'm done exploring.

Wait, where are you running screen? My assumption was that you be running it ON prime.gushi.org, not before you ssh in.

When I ssh from my mac to prime, nano -m works.

When I ssh from my mac to prime and start screen -q, nano -m doesn't.

I haven't tried it with screen on the LOCAL end of the SSH connection (kinda defeats the point of being able to detach, eh?)

-Dan

As far as I know, once a terminal session is negotiated, settings don't
change.  Screen is particularly obnoxious about intercepting and not
passing down the pipe things it doesn't understand.

You're telling me that in the following chain...

[1 local window mananger] -- [2 xterm] -- [3 ssh] -- [4 sshd] -- [5
shell] -- [6 application]

That somehow #6 can tell #2 or even #1 not to send their events?  I
think the "local" terminal is far dumber than that.

The question is whether it can tell them _to_ send their events. And
yes, that's accurate: a program that sends the "send mouse events"
sequence to screen will have them passed along to other terms - provided
that screen itself detects that it is being run in a mouse-capable
display (determined by checking for the presence of either "xterm" or
"rxvt" in the TERM value). (This is _exactly_ why terminfo needs to be
extended to allow advertising this feature.) That list ought to be
expanded to include "screen" itself. I thought I remembered patching
that once, but maybe it was a distro-specific patch that didn't make it
upstream, or something.

- --
Micah J. Cowan
Programmer, musician, typesetting enthusiast, gamer,
and GNU Wget Project Maintainer.
http://micah.cowan.name/

--

"Don't try to out-wierd me.  I get stranger things than you free with my
breakfast cereal."

-Button seen at I-CON XVII (and subsequently purchased)