stumpwm-devel

Re: [STUMP] changes in CVS

From: Shawn Betts
Subject: Re: [STUMP] changes in CVS
Date: 17 Oct 2003 00:18:06 -0700

Jay Belanger <address@hidden> writes:

> Shawn Betts <address@hidden> writes:
> > Yeah, oops :). Call it CVS unstableness. The function
> > set-defaults-bindings wasn't being called. It is now being called.
>
> Okay, now I have it working.
> But I'm not calling asdf; I just have a lisp file which loads the
> port and the stumpwm files, and it works.  What's the point of using
> asdf?  (I'm sure there is a point, I just wonder what it is.)

asdf is like automake. It compiles the lisp code and loads the files
in the correct order. Sure, it works to load each file manually and do
what you've done. asdf does that for you.

The other nice thing is that if stumpwm uses asdf it can hook into
CCLAN. asdf is also what is used by SBCL to load contrib
packages. Because of these things I decided having an asdf package is
a good thing.

But unfortunately it's hard to find a reference guide for asdf (if you
know where to find one, let me know). So I don't know what it can
do. I've just read other asdf files and the brief README. It's
conceivable that a package could depend on either X or Y (in this case
:cmucl-clx or :clx), so I wouldn't be surprised if asdf had this
feature (I should be able to hack it in if it doesn't)...but...I don't
know how to do it yet...

Shawn