Re: Error Message - Swarm-1.4.1

From: Alex Lancaster
Subject: Re: Error Message - Swarm-1.4.1
Date: 10 Sep 1999 18:35:12 -0600

PJ> Jayshree Sarma wrote:

>> When I do a file on core, I get back "ascii file" > > You are using
>> the executable name as the first argument, yes?  > > $ gdb
>> executable core >
>>
>> yes.
>>
>> doing a file on core I get back "English text" not ascii file as
>> mentioned earlier. I tried to use the dbx that came with the system
>> and I get the following message :
>>
>> core is not a corefile: not a valid corefile magic number
>>
PJ> I get this problem with Swarm-2.0, because the executable is in
PJ> .libs/executable, I have to use gdb .libs/executable core.

PJ> But you have swarm 1.4.1 you say?  How weird

It could be the system limits you've got set on your SGI v6.5 box, by
default.  Depending on how your system is set up, it is possible that
your SGI is truncating your core file, if it is over a certain size.
Type `ulimit' to see what limitations on your system resources are
imposed by your current shell.  `man ulimit' should tell you how to
change them (often `ulimit -c <max-size>' for core files).

--
  Alex Lancaster           |  e-mail: address@hidden
  Swarm Program            |     web: http://www.santafe.edu/~alex