Installation problems with 2.0.1

From: Greg Lewis
Subject: Installation problems with 2.0.1
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 15:16:20 +0930 (CST)

Hi all,

I apologise if this is a FAQ, but I'm unable to find it in the list
archives or online if so.

We currently have swarm 1.4.1 installation I am attempting to upgrade to
2.0.1.  Unfortunately I am having trouble building part of the java
subdirectory during the install process.  The last few lines of make
output are as follows:

make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/packages/swarm/src/swarm-2.0.1/src'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/packages/swarm/src/swarm-2.0.1/src'
Making all in java
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/packages/swarm/src/swarm-2.0.1/java'
make -C c all
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/packages/swarm/src/swarm-2.0.1/java/c'
cat  > defobj_stubs.m

At this point I obviously kill the build since something is amiss with
variable expansion from the looks of it.  The relevant target in the
Makefile in the java/c directory is

%_stubs.m: $(addsuffix .m,$(%_creatable_PROTOCOLS))
        cat $(addsuffix .m,$($*_creatable_PROTOCOLS)) > $*_stubs.m

and I'm obviously getting $(addsuffix .m,$($*_creatable_PROTOCOLS))
expanding to nothing.  Backtracking, this is probably due to
java/Makefile.common having the line:

defobj_creatable_PROTOCOLS =

Unfortunately, I have no idea what should be going here or how this file
is generated!

I would be very appreciative if somebody has some clues as to what is
going on :).

System information which may be relevant:

FreeBSD 3.2
gcc-2.95.1
make-3.77
jdk 1.1.8

(I also have png, hdf, zlib, jpeg, xpm, ffi, etc. installed and can provide
 versions if this would help)

                                regards, Greg
--
Greg Lewis                              address@hidden
Computing Officer                       +61 8 8303 5083