I have %_stubs.m too, but Java apps still run (was Re: Installation pro

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: I have %_stubs.m too, but Java apps still run (was Re: Installation problems with 2.0.1
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 07:54:41 -0500

Greg Lewis wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I apologise if this is a FAQ, but I'm unable to find it in the list
> archives or online if so.
>
> We currently have swarm 1.4.1 installation I am attempting to upgrade to
> 2.0.1.  Unfortunately I am having trouble building part of the java
> subdirectory during the install process.  The last few lines of make
> output are as follows:
>
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/packages/swarm/src/swarm-2.0.1/src'
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/packages/swarm/src/swarm-2.0.1/src'
> Making all in java
> make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/packages/swarm/src/swarm-2.0.1/java'
> make -C c all
> make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/packages/swarm/src/swarm-2.0.1/java/c'
> cat  > defobj_stubs.m
>
> At this point I obviously kill the build since something is amiss with
> variable expansion from the looks of it.  The relevant target in the
> Makefile in the java/c directory is
>
> %_stubs.m: $(addsuffix .m,$(%_creatable_PROTOCOLS))
>         cat $(addsuffix .m,$($*_creatable_PROTOCOLS)) > $*_stubs.m
>
> and I'm obviously getting $(addsuffix .m,$($*_creatable_PROTOCOLS))
> expanding to nothing.  Backtracking, this is probably due to
> java/Makefile.common having the line:
>
> defobj_creatable_PROTOCOLS =
>
> Unfortunately, I have no idea what should be going here or how this file
> is generated!

I don't have an answer, but I do have the same thing happen when I build
swarm-2.0.1 against the Blackdown JDK 1.2.  However, I don't know if it
is a significant problem.

I looked back at my build directory and see the same thing:

install-dll: all
        $(INSTALL) $(JAVASWARM_DLL) $(bindir)

%_stubs.m: $(addsuffix .m,$(%_creatable_PROTOCOLS))
        cat $(addsuffix .m,$($*_creatable_PROTOCOLS)) > $*_stubs.m

$(_LIBJAVASWARMSTUBS_LA): $(libjavaswarmstubs_la_OBJECTS)
        $(LIBTOOL) --mode=link $(OBJC) $(CFLAGS) -o $@ -version-info
$(STUBSCU

However, the build finished and I built some java apps against it and
they worked.  I didn't realize something might be wrong until you
mentioned it.

I don't have (any more) the build directories from other configurations
(Kaffe), but if it is significant to know what they do with that
%_stubs.m thingie, I will run it again.

--
Paul E. Johnson                         email: address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science              http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn