Re: [VM] Time to move to Mutt?

From: John Stoffel
Subject: Re: [VM] Time to move to Mutt?
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 16:27:02 -0400

Robert> John

Robert> John Stoffel writes:

>> Hi Robert,
>> I just tried patching my vm-8.2.0b version (as vm-8.2.0c) but when I
>> now look at emails with HTML, I get an error like this:
>>
>> Inline text/html by emacs-shr display failed: Variable binding depth exceeds
>> max-specpdl-size
>>
>> And I based my changes on your example code.

Robert> All that looks ok to me - though you don't need to make the
>> +            (cond ((locate-library "shr")
>> +                   'emacs-shr)

Robert> if you're setting vm-mime-text/html-handler in your .vm file
Robert> but it's clearly using that setting in view of the emacs-shr
Robert> error (so I wouldn't change anything there). What do you get
Robert> if you set

Robert> M-x set-variable debug-on-error t

Robert> and try it again? You may need to trim the output a bit.

I'll give it a shot.  I bumped up the max-specpdl-size to 13400 from
1300, but now it just seems to hang when doing stuff.  More once I get
some debug info.

Robert> Which version of emacs is this? Have you byte-compiled vm-mime
Robert> after editing it?

Yup, I did byte-compile it all.  Got tons of warnings about stuff lie
this:

"emacs" -batch -q -no-site-file -no-init-file -l ./vm-build.el -f
batch-byte-compile vm-w3m.el

In end of data:
vm-w3m.el:167:1:Warning: the following functions might not be defined
at
    runtime: vm-mime-cid-retrieve, vm-mm-layout-type,
        vm-mime-transfer-decode-region
        Wrote /home/john/elisp/vm-8.2.0c/lisp/vm-w3m.elc

I'm running emacs 24.5.1 on Debian 9.9.  And I see that I can install
emacs25, so I'll try using that next as well.

Robert> Robert