Re: Alternatives for reliable build environments for emacs?

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Alternatives for reliable build environments for emacs?
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 17:22:39 +0200

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

>     joakim> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>     >>> From: joakim@verona.se
>     >>> Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 14:55:27 +0200
>     >>>
>     >>> I'm finding it increasingly difficult to build emacs in my distro,
>     >>> Fedora(Ok, I havent managed to build emacs using distro dependencies
> for
>     >>> a long time)
>     >>
>     >> Why? what are the difficulties?
>
>     joakim> In my case one of the problems that started the downward spiral
> was the versions shipped of gnutls in
>     joakim> fedora which  didnt work with emacs.
>
> Thatʼs the first Iʼve heard of it. GnuTLS too old, too new, something else?

Too new in Fedora(at the time before I threw in the towel at least).

>     joakim> The separate aproach of building all the dependencies emacs need
> in a
>     joakim> separate build environment does work, like the Guix aproach.
>
>     joakim> I could probably convince guix to do what I want, but guix is also
>     joakim> fiddly. I was just wondering if somebody else had a solution for a
>     joakim> reproducible development environment for emacs.
>
>     joakim> Maybe I'm the only one facing these difficulties, that's fine I
> guess.
>
> Debian has always worked ok for me. Although I donʼt target
> reproducible builds.

Well, I could likely build emacs just fine in a docker container using
debian as the base, and run the container in my host fedora os. I know
some people do this. This approach is also brittle with how to manage
the src tree for development.

--
Joakim Verona
joakim@verona.se