[savannah-help-public] [sr #109340] Checking for new files with "cvs -qn

From: Gavin D. Smith
Subject: [savannah-help-public] [sr #109340] Checking for new files with "cvs -qn update" always times out
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 14:08:40 -0400 (EDT)

             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
        Operating System: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

I would like to know if there are new pages I need to track with "cvs add" for
a new version of a manual. I have seen "cvs -qn update" as the recommended
command to do this, but it doesn't work very well.

$ cvs -qn update
? texinfo/html_node/Obsolete-_0040_002dCommands.html
? texinfo/html_node/texi2any-Environment-Variables.html
vcs0.savannah.gnu.org: Connection timed out
cvs [update aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)
$ cvs -qn update
vcs0.savannah.gnu.org: Connection timed out
cvs [update aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)
$ cvs -qn update
vcs0.savannah.gnu.org: Connection timed out
cvs [update aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)

As you see above, I got told about two files I needed to add, but then it
timed out, so I didn't know if there were any more. I tried it again twice and
it timed out both times.

I found a work-around to do it in a lower level of directory:

$ cd texinfo/html_node/
$ cvs -qn update

This completed without any error being printed. So I would have to know which
subdirectories could have updated files and run "cvs -qn update" in each one.
In my case, this is not difficult to do.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?109340>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/